Canfranc International railway station is a former international railway station in the village of Canfranc in the Spanish Pyrenees. Opened in 1928, the main building is 240 metres long and has 365 windows and 156 doors.
But ever since the destruction in 1970 of the bridge at nearby L’Estanguet, on the French side, no more trains stop here. The train station of Canfranc has been quietly going to pieces on the foothills of the Pyrenees. Once a privileged gateway between Spain and Europe, during World War II it was an entry point into the peninsula for Nazi gold, Allied spies and people fleeing Hitler’s concentration camps.
Some weekends and during the summer there are theatrical visits, which tell the story of Albert Le Lay, who was a Customs officer during World War II. Le Lay helped many people flee from Nazi extermination.
There is now a project that includes the construction of the station’s new passenger building, creating a new set of tracks, providing urban development for the area and refurbishing the old station building for use as a “luxury” hotel and shopping centre. We will see…